Sunday 12 May 2013

Entropics: Serendipitous Encounter

I quite enjoyed my previous post. The pictures came out nice and the spot was top notch. But before I went there there was another post I had planned on writing. This is it. A couple of days prior to the May the 5th post events I found myself doing a long distance cycle. The story is as it always is. Nice weather, not much to do and a whole lot of land to explore. This time however I had not intended on going on an ruin/derelict/urbex run.

I was on my way to Echternach, a small town in the border of Luxembourg and Germany. It had been a while since I'd left Luxembourg city behind with its relative business. I was on a quiet country road with idyllic pastoral landscapes on either side. The kind of landscape you find in a painting at your grandparents house. A bit like this:



I was enjoying the peace and lack of cars. God I hate cars. They are so noisy and unsightly. Unless they are in this state (Not my photograph):



Abandoned, broken and overgrown. I appreciate their usefulness but them and their roads have ruined our cities and landscapes for centuries to come.

Anyway, I'm cycling in peace up a slight hill when to my left this appears.


Well, time for a brief stop. No proper camera though, just the phone. It will do, it has served us well before.


So what have we here. Looks like an early 20th century house. The tower is more architecturally significant that the rest. Looks like a restrained art deco style.


Bricks, bricks, bricks. Sign says this is private property. Something tells me the owner does not care much for this place.


Windows on the first floor are wide open. Its going to get wet inside if it rains.


The owner might not wanna live there but he sure as hell does not want other people to live there either.


Turning the corner another part of the house is revealed.


This looks older. Maybe the house was extended multiple times.


Mossy steps.


Amateur bricklaying. Still getting the job done.


Bricks even behind the door. Determined to keep us out.


That does not look like a viable way in.


A narrow window. Also bricked.


We got ourselves a shed. Oi! signs of a punk/red skin occupation in the past. Explains the bricks. Keeping the squatters out.

Roof tiles. Lots of roof tiles.


Inside the shed.


Cave painting from an earlier time. Maybe the punks/red skins wanted to squat but the bricks didn't let them into the main house. The shed would be their home and in it they left their marks.


The north face of the house. Looks grim.


An Oi! in closeup. OI!


Window on the palisade (shed)


A broken door onto the wilderness.


More ancient cave paintings.


All entrances have been covered. Looks like a sledgehammer is the key to this place and I do not break things. I just look.


A white wall.


This side of the house look fancies. Looks at those details on the wall.


Tall thin windows and a crumbling wall.


More of that corner.


The tower seen from the back of the house. Seems that in order to save money they made did not put any  decorations on his side since it cant be seen form the road. Cheap bastards.


A cool (and bricked) window.


The art deco side of the house.

Idylic pastures and a mountain bike. View form the garden.


Flowers and derelict house. This is the side were the gentlemen stayed. The Oi! Shed must have been for the servants or pigs.


Finally and most importantly a grill.

I'm afraid this is the end. The house looked promising but didn't have my camera and could not find a way inside. I still think the place is interesting enough to warrant a post here and the photos aren't completely horrible.

I ended up cycling for about 80 km around the Luxembourger country side. Reached Echternach and then cycle by the Mosel river for a while with Germany on the other side. You know what they say:

 "when you gaze long into Germany, Germany also gazes into you"

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment